Black Belt Exam
Dear Black Belts and Black/Red Belts,
I don’t know why, but this cycle seemed like it just started yesterday! I was very exciting to be on a couple of the seminars teaching black belt classes. I look forward to doing that again this cycle. Plus this black belt cycle each school is going to host 1 free black belt seminar open to all black belts. We’ll get this up on our school calendars ASAP and the topic they will be teaching.
The black belt exam day had 68 students in attendance and I have to say the energy level was high. There were a few times it dropped, but with a comment it went right back up with so many strong leaders in the group.
The TEAM is looking forward to helping you with your continued growth in the Martial Arts.
The October 2018 exam also has 2 alternate exams: 1) Black Belt Exam at Sea, take your exam on a cruise ship October 6-13, 2018. For more information on this see your instructor. 2) Take your exam with our Iowa Schools on October 27, 2018 in Ankeny, Iowa. We can usually fly there with Allegiant Air for around $60 each way.
Names found below are ones who have passed this exam and will be graduating to the next rank.
We look forward to seeing all of you on the next one in October!
All times are listed below for the next exam.
As you know there is a lot expected of you on this exam. If you practice hard and keep your attendance up to 3 times a week your exam will seem to be easier. Remember this is your black belt exam and you will be expected to do things that may not be listed here.
This Black Belt Cycle we will be working on:
- 1 TEAM Kata with your school
- Under 1st Degree Kata – Double Tonfa
- Past kata – 2 of them
- 1st Degree and Up Kata – Long V (we are doing a repeat with more info on the techniques)
- Self-Defense – Techniques List BB – IB – AB
- Written Exam will be on “Secrets of Chinses Karate” by Ed Parker
Dates and times may change. Check with your instructor or check this page for updated information.
Kyoshi F. DePalma
Due Dates & Times
Exam Applications/Belt Fee
– May 15, 2018 Must be in full uniform for all parts of the Exam!
All parts of the Exam from Sparring to Graduation must be attended to qualify and receive a blet. Pre-Exam
- Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, Pull-Ups, Bag Kick & Breaking Mesa, Scottsdale & Surprise Schools
Monday, September 24, 2018 - 7:30 PM (location Desert Mountain School NEC of Via Linda/136th)
Gilbert & Queen Creek Schools
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 7:30 PM (location South Gilbert School NEC Lindsay/Pecos) Run
– All schools October 20, 2018 - 8:00 am, South Gilbert School All who competed at 3 AZMARRS Rated events in 2 black belt division each (sparring & forms, weapons or musical) Between 4/21/2018 and 10/20/2018 and qualify to skip the run, need not show up for it. Visit www.AZMARRS.com for tournament listings.
Please check with your instructor to see if you qualify to skip anything! Sparring
– September 15, 2018 - 7:00 am at the IST and is part of the IST. Basics
– October 20, 2018 - 10:00 am @ South Gilbert School – located on the NEC of Lindsay/Pecos (What time is the lunch break? After the basic portion of the exam! ? We don’t know how long the basic portion will last. We will finish it when we see everything we need to see. A note will be put on the South Gilbert Facebook page to notify when we are getting close to break.) Kata
– October 20, 2018 - After a lunch break @ South Gilbert School Self-Defense
– October 20, 2018 - after 15 min. break from kata @ South Gilbert School Graduation – November 3, 2018, 5:00 PM – location TBA – Graduation must be attended to receive a new belt.
Exam Fee is due at the beginning of your Pre-Exam. Fee is $25.00 cash and must be paid to your Instructor. **Re-Test Pre-Exam will have an additional $50.00 charge. October 3 or 17, 2018 7:30 PM at South Gilbert**
Kata Scoring & Breaking
On your exam you will have to perform two kata of your choice. You are scored by the examining board on a scale of 0 - 3, 3 being the highest. If you perform a kata of the beginner level the highest you can score is a 2, if you perform a kata from the intermediate level the highest you can score is a 2.5, from the advanced level the highest you can score a 2.75 and from the black belt level a 3.
Breaking will be done either at the Pre-Exam
On the Black Belt Brochure mailed out there is a typo of age to board. It should read:
Blue/Brown Board – 10 & Under
Brown Board – 10 - 12
Black Board – 13 & Up
The above are suggestions. Your Instructor may challenge you to do higher. Train for the challenge
Age 10 is in two categories and decided by the instructor.
All ranks must have attended 60 regular classes and 30 sparring classes between April 21, 2018 & October 20, 2018
Students Who Passed BBE April 2018
Exam rehearsals will be held with your Head Instructor. Check with your school for dates, times & locations. Click here to visit our School Calendars
To E-mail your instructor please go to the “locations” page.
Students graduating must arrive at Mesquite Jr. High School, Gilbert 2:00 PM for an all school rehearsal.
Black Belt Graduation: Mesquite Jr. High School, Gilbert - Saturday, April 21, 2017 - Doors Open 2:45 PM, Show begins at 3:00 PM
"Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently."
-- Henry Ford, Founder of the Ford Motor Company
Please see your instructor for a bio form. This must be filled out and emailed to your instructor no later than the Wednesday before Graduation. Only the bio form from the instructor can be used.
The below names are in alphabetical order and not in any order of score. 1st Grade Black Belt:
Owen Kelly 2nd Grade Black Belt:
William Robinson 3rd Grade Black Belt:
Sloane McDaniel 4th Grade Black Belt:
Marco Aguinaldo 5th Grade Black Belt:
Matthew Layne 1st Degree Black Belt:
Jake Tangeman (2nd Level)
Marco Bergsagel (2nd Level)
Andrea Van Duyne (2nd Jr. Level)
Kira McDavid (2nd Jr. Level)
Luke Brewington (2nd Jr. Level)
Cassie Scrima (5th Jr. Level) 2nd Degree Black Belt:
Dagger DePalma (2nd Level)
Joshua Culbreath (2nd Level)
Domenic Frangella (3rd Level)